DEBUG mail

Peter L. Peres plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 3 23:36:11 UTC 2003

On Fri, 3 Oct 2003, Marc Lijour (Professeur d'Informatique) wrote:

> Is it possible to trace an email that has been sent through my server (via
> mailing-list application) and to somebody.
>
> This somebody claims that it did not received his copy. Is there a way I can
> make sure that the email actually leaved the computer in his direction?

If the server that sent it keeps full logs (like mine) then yes. You can
tell when it was sent etc. But few servers keep full logs. And keep in
mind that it ometimes happens for servers to go down hard and then the
mail is really lost, or can spend a few days, weeks or months on backup
tapes or in spoolers of servers which have bad dns access in the relevant
direction.

Peter