DEBUG mail

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 3 05:07:58 UTC 2003

On Fri, 3 Oct 2003, Marc Lijour (Professeur d'Informatique) wrote:

> Is it possible to trace an email that has been sent through my server (via
> mailing-list application) and to somebody.
>
> This somebody claims that it did not received his copy. Is there a way I can
> make sure that the email actually leaved the computer in his direction?

Do you admin your own mail server (I'm guessing now).  If not, then the
admin for your mail server should be able to determine that the mail left
your server and arrived on someone elses.  That is probably the mail
server of the recipient, but it might have been a backup MX.  Only the
admins of the other mail servers can tell you what happened to it then.

While you can't guarantee final delivery unless you get in contact with
each mail admin and see it go all the way to the right box and then get
popped, or imaped or whatever, you can guarantee that the mail item
started its journey ok.  Unfortunately this doesn't prove anything :(

Who knows what happened, the mail might have been caught by an errant spam
catcher (false positives happen) and even now be sitting in a spam folder
somewhere.

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc. email: robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org, zzbrock at uqconnect.net