MacIntoshes

Peter L. Peres plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 2 19:40:37 UTC 2003

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003, JoeHill wrote:

> now what I do is tell Postfix to relay my mail through Sympatico's smtp
> server, and all is well. But you seem to be saying there is a way I
> could do this by "masquerading"...I'll have to do more reading
> obviously...

Read the scanonical and rcanonical relevant material in Postfix docs.
Briefly, for each user, in scanonical:

localuser-3WTUrles5xvYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org	realuser at isp.com

in rcanonical:

realuser-C43h488GkGQ at public.gmane.org	localuser at bogus.org

You can collect mail from any number of addresses like this. The operation
is called canonical envelope (address) rewriting. Sendmail is particularly
configurable here (and particularly hard to program too). Postfix is easy.

> This is where I'm really behind in terms of knowledge of how mail works.
> Isn't this where the RBL's come in? They say, "I cannot map this domain
> to a valid IP, therefore it is quite likely spam..." and either bounce
> it or /dev/null it?

RBL and other spam filters lock you out based on a set of rules, not just
origin. RBL in particular is a vote-system where a human decides whether
you're good or bad.

Peter