MacIntoshes

Keith Mastin kmastin-PzQIwG9Jn9VAFePFGvp55w at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 1 21:06:10 UTC 2003

<snip>
> Whoa, easy there! I was under the impression that, even with a valid
> domain name, the RBLs will blacklist you because you are coming from a
> block of IP's that belong to an ISP, ie. you are considered an
> "amateur".

No. If you get your ISP to enter your reverse dns settings up to reflect
your routable hostname the mail will get accepted.

> If you want to be absolutely sure to remain *off* of the RBL's, you need
> a registered mail server, like mail.whatever.com, at least that's the
> impression I got from what I've read.

If you want to remain sure to stay off the RBL's then don't allow your
mailserver to be used as a spam source or open relay. The RBL's aren't
some kind of Internet cop, they just keep a list of mailservers that have
a habit of processing spam.

In a way what you say is correct... you do want your mailserver to resolve
with an MX RR that resolves to an A RR, but the hostname doesn't have to
be mail, smtp or pop. We just use those to keep track of where our systems
are and what they do. :)

> And if spam is not a nightmare, I don't know what is... ;-)

Self-Appointed Jr. Sys-Admin (otherwise known as the night janitor).

--
Keith Mastin
BeechTree Information Technology Services Inc.