<OT> Wireless Access Point

Peter L. Peres plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 2 20:08:26 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003, Wil McGilvery wrote:

> Sheesh! Ask a simple question and get all kinds of answers!

Yeah. The number of people it takes to screw in a lightbulb...

> Thanks for the info, it is always good to know. I have another question.
> Is there a way to do this with GPS? If am receiving the signal on a
> laptop with GPS, could I locate the signal or would I only be able to
> locate myself?

If 'the signal' is the network signal then you can find out whence it is
coming from (for example by using the method I showed - it helps if you're
a big guy like me). Write down the magnetic bearing whence it seems to
come (using a handheld compass) and the gps readout. Then move away with
all the equipment and from a second location take a second bearing and
write down coordinates and bearing. Now if you plot this on a map
(electronic or paper) then you will have two points and a bearing from
each. The point where the bearings intersect should be the transmitter.
Barring serious reflexions which will mislead you seriously. This is very
basic df. You will find tons of info at places like arrl.org and ham
websites. Look for df and triangulation.

Another way to seek the fox is to use the laptop as a 'divining rod', and
walk around with it, keep going towards stronger fieldstrength indication.
If this does not seem to lead anywhere (i.e. the maximum is in the middle
of nowhere, like in a park), then you're probably looking for a
directional antenna covering your area from a building or a tree.

> (can you tell I don't know much about wireless?)

You have to start somewhere. F.ex. I am not a ham because I never got
around to get a license but that does not mean I did not study for it ...

enjoy,

Peter