GUI

Taavi Burns taavi-LbuTpDkqzNzXI80/IeQp7B2eb7JE58TQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Nov 29 20:40:50 UTC 2003

On Sat, Nov 29, 2003 at 03:31:40PM -0500, William Park wrote:
> So far, Korean (federal) and German (municipal) government decided to
> try Linux.  This means Intel CPU, also.  Where are the commies when you
> really need them?

Um...last I checked Linux ran on a wide variety of CPUs, not just Intel.

Of course they're going to reuse a crapload of x86 boxen (maybe they're
AMD?), but once running Linux there isn't such a gross necessity to
purchase x86 boxen.  They could easily get some PPC or MIPS boxen in
there.

Oh, wait.  x86 boxen are WAY cheaper anyway, and not afaik because
Intel did anything illegal.  (at least, as you've pointed out, nobody's
pointed a finger at them to the same extent as M$)  So the 487 was
a full 486 that turned your 486SX into a nice little frying pan.
You still got the functionality you paid for.

--
taa
/*eof*/