Debian Updates

Keith Mastin kmastin-PzQIwG9Jn9VAFePFGvp55w at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 28 17:40:20 UTC 2003

> On Thu, 27 Nov 2003, Keith Mastin wrote:
>> I would like to see that the syntax of the gui is 100% correct, that
>> no 2 lines conflict with each other
>
> I'm by no means an expert in GUI configuration tools (since I don't use
> them), but wouldn't such conflicts be refered to as bugs.

...or features?

My personal favorite gui-bug-thing (just recently found, mind you) is
Win-XP-Pro. 2 interfaces on a computer, XP tries to configure the
EXT_IFACE for smb requests until I dis-configure (?) it, and only then
does it allow smb requests on INT_IFACE. Beauty, eh!.

>> The best that I can remember seeing is for configuring the linux kernel,
>> and even that could use some fine tuning before it's ready for
>> prime-time use by non-techie types.
>
> I wouldn't have non-techie types configure a kernel.  While you may get
> by with a minimal understanding of hardware, you *will* fail if you
> don't know your hardware.  Besides, it wouldn't qualify on your other
> criteria: it doesn't handle dependencies properly (at least for PPC
> kernels).

Stepping away from PPC kernels and such, you're just underpinning my
argument. This is the best I've seen (there may be others that I haven't
seen) and it's still lacking.

--
Keith