GUI

JoeHill joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 28 14:04:13 UTC 2003

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 08:39:29 -0500
Anton Markov <anton-F0u+EriZ6ihBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> I would call that marketing genius.  Imagine making a product that would
> force other companies to say "OS/2 is good, but we want to sell Windows
> so much that we'll give it up."  The companies had every right to refuse
> the Microsoft deals; they just wouldn't be selling Windows.  That is not
> extortion.

Whatever you want to call it, it is illegal business practice, something
determined quite plainly by courts in several U.S. and international
jurisdictions. It doesn't take a genius to be a criminal, just immoral character
and a selfish attitude. I see no logic in trying to excuse deliberate market
manipulation at the expense of innovation and competition.

Did other companies make stupid business decisions by going along with
Microsoft's "deals"? Yes. Does that excuse criminal behaviour? No.

--
JoeHill ++ ICQ # 280779813
Registered Linux user #282046