GUI

Taavi Burns taavi-LbuTpDkqzNzXI80/IeQp7B2eb7JE58TQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 28 04:52:59 UTC 2003

On Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 12:06:45AM -0500, Byron Q. Desnoyers Winmill wrote:
> I've been wondering how the OS X Finder compares to the WPS, but haven't
> had the desire to wade through Apple's documentation.  Older versions of

Try it.  :)  Go to a store and experiment.

> the Macintosh system software had their qualities, and I keep a few
> System 7.1 machines to prove it.  ;)  As for Unixy operating systems:
> OS/2 fared quite well because of EMX.  That is to say that a lot of
> applications were ported, including XFree86.

OSX IS UNIX, deriving directly from NeXT, FreeBSD, NetBSD, and Mach (sort
of all at the same time and from different angles).  Panther (10.3) comes
with a port of XFree86 4.3.0 that runs quite natively in rooted or
rootless mode and has exceptional performance.  The whole OS itself is
compiled with gcc, which is also provided in the free dev toolkit.

Fink is currently available for most of one's open source needs on OSX,
with OpenDarwin and Gentoo pitching in for a joint project to unify
the three for use under OSX.

Whee.  :)

--
taa