Confused as Chris Griffin

Fraser Campbell fraser-Txk5XLRqZ6CsTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 28 00:53:39 UTC 2003

On November 27, 2003 05:24 pm, Keith Mastin wrote:

> > FORWARD chain "are for packets destined for other hosts"
> > Well, why am I recieving packets that arent meant for me?
>
> The firewall will accept anything first ACCEPT'ed, then not DROP'ed

I don't think that statement is completely true.

I believe with netfilter that if something is ACCEPTed then the firewalling
decision has been made, no subsequent filtering rule could cause it to be
dropped.  This was a big improvement over the ipchains machinery that
processed packets going through a machine in multiple passes.

With netfilter it should work like this:

- if a rule ACCEPTs a packet then the packet is ACCEPTed regardless of any
  rules that follow it
- if a packet is DROPed then the packet is DROPed regardless of any rules that
  follow it
- if a packet does not match any explicit rule then the policy of the
  appropriate chain (INPUT, OUTPUT, FORWARD) determines what happens to it