Looking for Advice

Phillip Mills pmills-5bG9SNWDbRX3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 27 23:14:31 UTC 2003

On Thursday, November 27, 2003, at 03:52 PM, Madison Kelly wrote:

> So my question is, how have some of you gone about getting a job when
> you have no paper work but are good at what you do?

I hope this doesn't cause depression, but I'm discovering that the
current market is exceptionally tough even when you *have* the paper
work and are good at what you do.  It seems that most jobs are being
obtained right now (in IT) through personal contacts rather than
through open competition.  Anyone you know or meet may know someone who
is hiring, and having that up-front reference is likely a better
"wedge" than any amount of certification or experience.

If you have clients who are happy with you, try them for leads...all of
them!  Do any of the people you've met through George Brown know
anybody?

> How do you get a
> given company to even respond to your resume?

It's a buyer's market, so they don't see any need to be polite.

Good luck.  ...and if you find someone looking for software design and
development skills, let me know.  :-)

Phillip Mills
Multi-platform software development
(416) 224-0714