Looking for Advice

Taavi Burns taavi-LbuTpDkqzNzXI80/IeQp7B2eb7JE58TQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 27 21:55:38 UTC 2003

On Thu, Nov 27, 2003 at 03:52:07PM -0500, Madison Kelly wrote:
> problem I am facing though, as I am guessing others here have faced is,
> how do you get a job when you are self taught? The only place I have

A good point raised at a "Meet a CompE" night at my university was that
life experience is good work experience, if put in the right light.  The
lack of experience is a big stumbling block for a lot of students who did
not take part in a co-op or IIP program.

One former student apparently worked as a beekeeper for a few summers,
quite apart from his Engineering studies.  The spin on this is that he
works well under stress; he doesn't crack up or lose his cool.  This is
highly desirable in volatile customer situations.

My mother also had to rummage around a bit when going back to school for
her Masters, and then getting a job as a Librarian, after doing "nothing"
but looking after the kids for the previous 16 years or so.  She did have
outside interests, activities, and responsibilities, though (La Leche League
leader, and ran a daycare like thing out of our house for other kids
our ages who attended the local elementary school with us).  Hence she had
plenty of experience working with people in semi-professional situations,
and to keep track of a bunch of kids, and keep the books in order for
income tax purposes.

Be creative.  :)

--
taa