Looking for Advice

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 27 20:52:07 UTC 2003

Hi everyone,

  I have a question that I am hoping someone here has worked through.

  I decided that, given some stuff going on right now, that I should
really try getting a job to get some steady income for a bit. The
problem I am facing though, as I am guessing others here have faced is,
how do you get a job when you are self taught? The only place I have
worked in the past outside of my own company was, strangly enough,
teaching evening courses at George Brown :).

  So my question is, how have some of you gone about getting a job when
you have no paper work but are good at what you do? How do you get a
given company to even respond to your resume? I have sent out quite a
large number of resumes but so far I only got one interview. For what it
is worth; I have been actively building, troubleshooting and supporting
PC systems since '97 (under windows and linux).

  Anyway, if nothing else take this as an exasperted rant :).

Madison