Debian Updates

JoeHill joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 27 13:06:30 UTC 2003

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 02:09:22 -0500 (EST)
"Byron Q. Desnoyers Winmill" <lists-Gb8Tj4xcA4YgsBAKwltoeQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> > What's this seething prejudice against GUI's?
>
> I would imagine that a lot of us are attracted to Linux by the CLI.

Great! I like it too, the more I learn how to use it. But that's why we have a
variety of distros with varying degrees of separation between the CLI and the
GUI.

> > I believe that Linux can and will eventually develop a GUI that is as
> > powerful and extensible as the Mac interface
>
> Actually, the Macintosh GUI is in steady decline.  It started around the
> System 7.5 era, and is continuing with Mac OS X.
>
> > Why would that be such a terrible thing?
>
> Because the shell would loose its dominance?

Not necessarily. Like I said, that's why we have a variety of distros, from
Slackware to Mandrake and everything in between.

That's what I love about Linux, there's something for everyone, or at least I
really hope there *will be*. To paraphrase the great John Lennon, "give Linux a
chance...".

--
JoeHill ++ ICQ # 280779813
Registered Linux user #282046