Debian Updates

Byron Q. Desnoyers Winmill lists-Gb8Tj4xcA4YgsBAKwltoeQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 27 07:09:22 UTC 2003

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003, JoeHill wrote:
> What's this seething prejudice against GUI's?

I would imagine that a lot of us are attracted to Linux by the CLI.

> I believe that Linux can and will eventually develop a GUI that is as
> powerful and extensible as the Mac interface

Actually, the Macintosh GUI is in steady decline.  It started around the
System 7.5 era, and is continuing with Mac OS X.

> Why would that be such a terrible thing?

Because the shell would loose its dominance?

> I never have to fork over the bucks for a Mac to avoid using that POS
> Windows OS

If you want a Macintosh, you fork over the bucks.  The reason for this
is simple: Apple controls the development, and this ensures that you get
a consistent user interface.  Consistency, not technology, is what makes
it easier to use.  This consistency is also the product of published
"human interface" guidelines.  In otherwords, Linux developers would
have to document their software for other developers -- not just the end
user.  Consistency also depends upon agreement, which is bound to be
difficult to find in a community which seeks alternatives.

Byron.