Debian Updates

Keith Mastin kmastin-PzQIwG9Jn9VAFePFGvp55w at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 26 21:03:29 UTC 2003

<snip>
>> I prefer be able to dial into the server while on vacation in Hawaii and
>> reconfigure as needed. IMHO anything else is a cheat if you have the
>> capabilities but refuse to learn how to use them.
>
> I think that's a little extreme, when you take into account different
> levels of users, and I think you need to. For each person, there is a
> level of comfort, and if we want to expand the Linux desktop user base,

What if we dont care about the desktop user base, just about making things
work at the server level so the users don't need to learn to use anything
but windoh$?

> we're going to have to accept that not everybody sees the CLI as the
> elegant, powerful, and exact tool that it is. What do you say to the
> Windows refugee who says "where's my Scheduled Tasks?!", tell them to
> read man crontab? They'll drop it like a hot potato and run screaming
> back. Which is *why* some kind-hearted souls came up with sol'ns like
> cron-apt, Webmin, or in Mandrake the Cron tool in Control Center.

I don't recall stating that the CLI is best for everyone. IIRC, this was
the result of someone suggesting that a noob use a root-level gui to make
a simple configuration change.

> Not everybody wants to be, or should need to be, a guru who can decipher
> man pages, just because they want to use Linux. This is exactly why we
> have a variety of solutions, distros, etc.

But not everyone should be playing with linux either. Windoh$s is simply
the best for a lot of people... or don't you want to take your own
argument that far?

--
Keith