Debian Updates

JoeHill joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 26 21:37:32 UTC 2003

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 16:03:29 -0500 (EST)
"Keith Mastin" <kmastin-PzQIwG9Jn9VAFePFGvp55w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> What if we dont care about the desktop user base, just about making things
> work at the server level so the users don't need to learn to use anything
> but windoh$?

That's where we differ. I *do* care. It means more software, more support, more
everything, for me, as a Linux user.

> > we're going to have to accept that not everybody sees the CLI as the
> > elegant, powerful, and exact tool that it is. What do you say to the
> > Windows refugee who says "where's my Scheduled Tasks?!", tell them to
> > read man crontab? They'll drop it like a hot potato and run screaming
> > back. Which is *why* some kind-hearted souls came up with sol'ns like
> > cron-apt, Webmin, or in Mandrake the Cron tool in Control Center.
>
> I don't recall stating that the CLI is best for everyone. IIRC, this was
> the result of someone suggesting that a noob use a root-level gui to make
> a simple configuration change.

uh, running apt is a root process anyway...ie., cron would need to be
configured as root to run the command.

> > Not everybody wants to be, or should need to be, a guru who can decipher
> > man pages, just because they want to use Linux. This is exactly why we
> > have a variety of solutions, distros, etc.
>
> But not everyone should be playing with linux either. Windoh$s is simply
> the best for a lot of people... or don't you want to take your own
> argument that far?

No, and I never have. Windows is best for *nobody*.
--
JoeHill ++ ICQ # 280779813
Registered Linux user #282046