samba

Anton Markov anton-F0u+EriZ6ihBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 26 21:11:13 UTC 2003

Hi Keith,

~From what I gather, you are trying to allow the Windows computer access
to Linux samba shares, right?

After starting up samba, can you do:

smbclient -L localhost
smbclient -L <whatever the network address of the server is>

and see if you can connect and see the shares listed.  Then try:

smbclient //localhost/<share>

to try connecting to the actual share.

Tell us what you find.

Anton

Keith Mastin wrote:
| I have a small home network w/ 3 computers hooked up at the moment. 2
| redhat-7.3 machines and the other is Windoh$ XP-Pro. I decided to give
| SWAT a go to see what changes have been made since I last tried it. I
| won't be doing that again anytime soon. Samba won't work. I uninstalled
| all 4 samba -related apps and reinstalled only samba, samba-client and
| samba-common (no swat).
|
| When I stop or restart samba, here is the result:
| [root-82/87xFww9o at public.gmane.org root]# service smb restart
| Shutting down SMB services:                                [  OK  ]
| Shutting down NMB services: /etc/init.d/smb: kill: (3516) - No such
process
|                                                            [  OK  ]
| Starting SMB services:                                     [  OK  ]
| Starting NMB services:                                     [  OK  ]
|
| The netbios thingy is dying on the vine, and reinstalling it won't fix the
| problem so it has to be related to something else.
|
| If I don't get this back up soon, my kid is going to kill me. Any
| suggestions (I mean other than leaving the gun fully loaded for him to
| shoot me with)?

- --
Anton Markov <("anton" + "@" + "truxtar" + "." + "com")>

GnuPGP Key fingerprint =
5546 A6E2 1FFB 9BB8 15C3  CE34 46B7 8D93 3AD1 44B4

~ "The difference between insanity and genius is measured only by success."
~ - Some bad guy from 007