Mail and Web Server behind a firewall

Kareem Shehata kareem-d+8TeBu5bOew5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 25 03:54:23 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-11-24 at 20:12, Wil McGilvery wrote:
> Why not just use a hosts file for internal resolution.
>
> How many machines are we talking about?

The problem isn't internal machines finding the server, it's the
services on the server becoming concerned.  I use name-based virtual
servers in Apache, which will scream if the DNS entry for the virtual
server name doesn't match the IP of the interface.  Not sure about
qmail, but I have a feeling it won't like it much either.

Surely someone else on the list has run into a similar problem, and
hopefully come up with an elegant solution?

Kareem

--
      kareem-d+8TeBu5bOew5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org   -   Kareem Shehata   -   416-676-6611