Has anybody tried Xandros OS?

jkls jkls-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 25 03:43:00 UTC 2003

A true newbie's story-pathetic but true:
The last time I used Mandrake and I couldn't get updates using the
graphical tools that I knew of because they wouldn't go through my
firewall. I had all the lower ports blocked. I was so tired of
struggling with my firewall. I had spent like two months learning enough
to set it up and the thought of "re-compiling the ftp client with
passive support" just made me tired. I loved that system's interface but
I couldn't get any security updates so I was a paranoid wreck.

If Xandros really could run MS Office then Mom and neighbours would have
to whistle. Plus they're a Canajun company. I like stuff like that. But
ease of use often means less features. Windows is one popular example.
(Which is why I like to struggle with Linux from time to time-I mean who
wouldn't want to know that the MBR is 512 bytes of which the top 66 are
the partition table-including the two byte header-the power just makes
you dizzy.)

I am also thinking about Gentoo. This looks very nice on the surface:
great installation instructions, a package management system, nice
screenshots and I have some limited experience with their excellent boot
CD. It's also cheap/free.

Thanks for your opinion.