solved, was Re: arrgh! "smrsh: uid 1000: attempt to use procmail -f-"

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 25 03:12:01 UTC 2003

On Mon, Nov 24, 2003 at 05:00:28PM -0500, Max Blanco wrote:
> I spent oodles of time to fix this beautiful undocumented ... (can anyone
> think of a synonym for "feature" which begins with a "g"??)
>
> When debian installs procmail over sendmail, it does not:
> * add "MAILER(procmail)dnl" to /etc/mail/sendmail.mc
> * ln -s /usr/bin/procmail /usr/lib/sm.bin
> * run /usr/share/sendmail/update_smrsh
> * run sendmailconfig
>
> (probably plus some others that I forget...)
>
> How on earth I found this one out remains a mystery to me.

Well Debian tends to run exim (which is simpler to configure by far, has
had less security holes, among other things), so it isn't too surprising
that a package like procmail doesn't put much effort into making
sendmail do things.  Would you really want a package arbitrarily
changing your sendmail config?

exim comes preconfigured to use procmail if installed.

Lennart Sorensen