access to Mandrake install over the net

Austin aacton-B71PBEe7S7Y at public.gmane.org
Sun Nov 23 16:53:52 UTC 2003

On Sun, 2003-11-23 at 10:18, Lloyd D Budd wrote:
> > SuSE is surely the least accessible distro.
> If you would please explain it is be appreciated?

They have traditionally not released free ISO's to the public.  That's
what I meant.

> > Mandrake has many mirrors... there is a list at
> > http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/ftp.php3
> There is no list there for a non-member?

I'm sure there is.  If not:
ftp://ftp.uninett.no/linux/Mandrake
http://mandrake.redbox.cz/Mandrake
are the two most popular.

> > You can download the ISO, or you can download a floppy image and install
> > over the net.
> I do not have a floppy drive.

Neither do I.  You can burn the floppy image to a CD-ROM and boot from
that.
$ mkdir image
$ cp network.img image
$ mkisofs -b network.img image > network.iso
$ cdrecord dev=0,0,0 network.iso
$ rm -fr image

There are also lilo/grub tricks available to boot the image from your
HD, but I've never tried it.  It's mentioned somewhere in:
http://qa.mandrakesoft.com/twiki/bin/view/Main/CookerHowTo
if your're interested.

Austin
--
                                 Austin Acton
        Synthetic Organic Chemist, Teaching Assistant, Ph.D. Candidate