R: Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES

Fraser Campbell fraser-Txk5XLRqZ6CsTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Sun Nov 16 21:05:01 UTC 2003

On November 16, 2003 01:25 pm, login-Zd07PnzKK1IAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org wrote:

> Next how does this work:
>
> "Red Hat's Enterprise Linux family of operating systems is available on a
> per-system, annual subscription basis."
>
> After the one year of subscription expired, the OS will be out-dated,
> right?

See the first question of their Enterprise FAQ:

    Additionally, Red Hat Enterprise Linux products are all supplied with a
    year of support, and customers can continue to obtain support for 5 years.

I believe that after a year you'll pay another 349 or 799 USD depending on the
support level you want.  If you pay then you will continue to receive access
to redhat security and other updates for the ES version that you bought.  If
you don't pay then you won't get updates and you'll be entirely on your own
for security updates, application support, etc.

Eventually (apparently in about 5 years) support for RHES 3.0 will be
discontinued and your choices will be to upgrade to a newer version of ES or
to support the installation yourself ... and naturally you'll continue paying
Redhat yearly.

> This is very discouraging from Red Hat by removing the non-enterprise
> OS from their shelf and forcing to buy Enterprise version at least for
> average home users.

IMO, it's also discouraging for Linux support companies and independent
contractors working with Linux.  The only reason to "subscribe " is to get
Redhat's support, Redhat is (rightfully I think) betting the farm on support.
It would be nice if Redhat left a little more room for others to play ...
forking out a minimum of 350 USD for ES can bump up the cost a of an
installation a fair amount for independents.  At the very least they should
offer a non-business use or educational version ... hell even Sun does that
with Solaris (20 USD to download).

I'm still rather happy that I chose to go with Debian over 5 years ago, still
see no reason to switch ;-)