Missing device

Anton Markov anton-F0u+EriZ6ihBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Sun Nov 16 17:36:17 UTC 2003

Hi John,

Try installing kino with apt-get:

apt-get install kino

And for some extra effects and filters do:

apt-get install kinoplus

That's how I installed Kino on my computer. To compile it I think you
need gnome-libs-devel or something.  Try it with apt-get first though.

I am replying to the whole list so someone else could maybe help you
with the compiling issue (if you still want to compile).

Hope this helps

Anton

John Moniz wrote:
| Hi Anton;
|
| I have been grabing dv with dvgrab, but was not able to compile kino - I
| got the following errors when doing "./configure":
| checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of Makefiles... no
| checking for gnome-config... no
| checking for gnomeConf.sh file in /usr/local/lib... not found
| configure: error: Could not find the gnomeConf.sh file that is generated
| by gnome-libs install
|
| But at least I can work with dvgrab for now. Have you transferred dv
| from the PC to the camcorder? I have a Sony TRV 740.
|
| Thanks,
|
| John.
|

| Anton Markov wrote:

|> Hi John,
|>
|> What kernel version and which distribution are you running?  You need a
|> 2.4 series kernel (you could patch a 2.2 kernel, but I think it's best
|> to just upgrade).
|>
|> Try:
|> mknod /dev/raw1394 c 171 0
|> modprobe raw1394
|>
|> This did the job for my Via OHCI adapter and Sony TRV140 DV camcorder.
|>
|> If you need more help, check out the info at
|> <http://www.linux1394.org/start_req.html>
|>
|> I would also suggest you use a higher-level program such as Kino
|> <http://kino.schirmacher.de/>
|>
|> Enjoy :)
|>
|> John Moniz wrote:
|> | I am trying to capture some video from a dig video camera connected
|> to a
|> | firewire card. When I run the dvgrab command, I get the following
|> error:
|> |
|> | raw1394 - couldn't get handle: No such device
|> | This error usually means that the ieee1394 driver is not loaded or that
|> | /dev/raw1394 does not exist.
|> |
|> | I have these modules loaded:
|> | ohci1394               18600   0  (unused)
|> | ieee1394               45388   0  [ohci1394]
|> |
|> | But I have no /dev/raw1394 device listed. How do I make/get such a
|> | device? I couldn't find an "mk..." type command that might do it.
|> |
|> | Thanks,
|> |
|> | John.

- --
Anton Markov <("anton" + "@" + "truxtar" + "." + "com")>

GnuPGP Key fingerprint =
5546 A6E2 1FFB 9BB8 15C3  CE34 46B7 8D93 3AD1 44B4
"The difference between insanity and genius is measured only by success."
~ - Some bad guy from 007