Missing device

John Moniz john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Sat Nov 1 17:14:12 UTC 2003

Anton Markov wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> What kernel version and which distribution are you running?  You need a
> 2.4 series kernel (you could patch a 2.2 kernel, but I think it's best
> to just upgrade).
>
> Try:
> mknod /dev/raw1394 c 171 0
> modprobe raw1394
>
> This did the job for my Via OHCI adapter and Sony TRV140 DV camcorder.
>
> If you need more help, check out the info at
> <http://www.linux1394.org/start_req.html>
>
> I would also suggest you use a higher-level program such as Kino
> <http://kino.schirmacher.de/>
>
> Enjoy :)
>
> John Moniz wrote:
> | I am trying to capture some video from a dig video camera connected
> to a
> | firewire card. When I run the dvgrab command, I get the following
> error:
> |
> | raw1394 - couldn't get handle: No such device
> | This error usually means that the ieee1394 driver is not loaded or that
> | /dev/raw1394 does not exist.
> |
> | I have these modules loaded:
> | ohci1394               18600   0  (unused)
> | ieee1394               45388   0  [ohci1394]
> |
> | But I have no /dev/raw1394 device listed. How do I make/get such a
> | device? I couldn't find an "mk..." type command that might do it.
> |
> | Thanks,
> |
> | John.

I'm now capturing digital video. It looks like it was "modprobe raw1394"
that did the trick (thanks Anton and Kareem). When I had done lsmod, it
had looked to me that all the modules were already loaded, but weren't.

I still haven't seen any of the video, so am not totally sure dvgrab is
working properly. When I try to play the .avi file with mplayer, I get
the error:
"AVI: Missing video stream!? Contact the author, it may be a bug :( "
 -  in the dv1 format and I get the error:
"Error opening/initializing the selected video_out (-vo) device"   -  in
the dv2 format.

Now I am trying all the various formats. This is a brand new
installation of RH9 and I just installed mplayer with apt-get, so I
can't be sure mplayer is working properly - have to find a movie file I
know isn't corrupted to test mplayer.

John.