Apple Color Plus 14" + XFree86 help needed

Max Blanco blanco-S8qYAnHmZTt34ZA5RureAJ4VBq8PJc8F at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 14 23:28:52 UTC 2003

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003, Byron Desnoyers Winmill wrote:

> Does this monitor work with the video card under Mac OS?  (I'm guessing
> yes, since I have seen pretty old Apple monitors work with TiBooks.)

Yes, it does, perfectly.

> If XFree86 doesn't know that your video card supports that monitor, you
> may be stuck using a different X server.  I think that Xpmac will work
> with your machine.  (A beige G3 or an upgraded PCI PowerMac?)

beige G3.  I'm reluctant to change xfree86.  I had a similar problem way
back when, and I suspect it is a question of having the magic combination.
The thing is, I'd rather not have to delve into arcana like the
XFree86-Video-Timings-HOWTO... someone, somewhere out there has to have an
Apple Color Plus 14" that works with X already.  I don't have the cashola
to buy another, newer, one.

Anybody have an Apple monitor that works but is headed for the garbage
bin?

> On your earlier question: offb is the Open Firmware framebuffer.  I have
> used it under NetBSD, and it is slower than the dickens.  I have used it
> under Linux, and performance was acceptable.  YMMV.

There's another implementation of Xwindows out there??

> Byron.

Thanks, Byron...