Apple Color Plus 14" + XFree86 help needed

Byron Desnoyers Winmill lists-Gb8Tj4xcA4YgsBAKwltoeQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Nov 15 05:02:48 UTC 2003

On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 06:28:52PM -0500, Max Blanco wrote:
> > On your earlier question: offb is the Open Firmware framebuffer.  I have
> > used it under NetBSD, and it is slower than the dickens.  I have used it
> > under Linux, and performance was acceptable.  YMMV.
>
> There's another implementation of Xwindows out there??

The offb driver is not another implementation of X11, but part of XFree86.
Xpmac is another implementation of X11 (which may or may not be based upon
XFree86).  The only other X servers I am aware of require Mac OS.  It would
take some creativity to run them under Linux.

Open Firmware is similar to the ROM BIOS on a Wintel box.  It provides some
video services.  I would imagine that the offb driver uses those services,
but I'm not sure.

Byron.