time reference servers?

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 12 16:36:18 UTC 2003

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003, Stephen Allen wrote:

> William Park wrote:
>
> > Which time servers (port 13, 37, 123) do you use to set your system
> > time?  I would like to find machines closer to me than <time.apple.com>
> > and <time.windows.com>.
> >

> There is an excellent web page:
>
> <http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/servers.html>.
>
> Shows the public stratum 1 and 2 servers by country.

It's important to avoid polling off stratum 1 servers.  Even using stratem
2 servers should be avoided where possible (which should be pretty much
always).  If the ISP has an NTP server use that, otherwise use one of the
publically available servers.

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc. email: robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org, zzbrock at uqconnect.net