Fedora Linux

cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 5 19:59:41 UTC 2003

Lloyd Budd wrote:
> > And there also lies another challenge; why should someone experiment
> > with contributing to Fedora which might fall as quickly as it rises when
> > they could join an already-strong network of Debian packagers?  Fedora
> > needs to draw from that same set of people.
>
> Debian is still too hard for many.

This should influence people to move from the network of Debian
packagers to Fedora precisely why?

Furthermore, this should influence people who _are_ capable of building
packages to prefer the paucity of package management tools for Fedora
precisely why?  (e.g. - debconf, lintian, fakeroot, debhelper, debmake,
cvs-buildpackage, ...)

And as near as I can tell, the people to whom Debian is "too hard" are
those that wind up with Red Hat systems that are questionably configured
and susceptible to rootkitting.  They may have won, in the process, a
system that they simply can't manage.

> I found http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=7169 quite
> interesting, but if it is as the author suggests then I fear an
> outcome as you predict.  The best thing that Fedora could do is for
> the core to stay snuggled up to the RH releases.  This homogeneity
> would encourage the most likely users of Fedora to contribute to the
> community.

For it to stay thus "snuggled" requires that RHAT be highly
interventionist in their management of it, which would discourage
outsiders from participating, and prevent it from growing into a
'community' effort.
--
"cbbrowne","@","acm.org"
http://cbbrowne.com/info/wp.html