[OT]User agreement

Phillip Mills pmills-5bG9SNWDbRX3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 5 17:38:14 UTC 2003

A couple of days ago I finished Scott Adams' _The Way of the Weasel_
(which I heartily recommend to everyone, BTW).  Today I read an ISP's
terms and conditions regarding high-speed service.  To the naive, these
might seem to be discrete events.

In essence, we the ISP claim:
  1) We advertise a monthly rate, but we've redefined 'month'...'year'
likewise.
  2) In spite of any signed agreement, we can change the pricing.  If
you don't pay the extra -- even if you've already paid in advance --
it's called 'voluntary termination'.
  3) In spite of any signed agreement, we can change the services or the
way they're accessed.  If you don't like it: 'voluntary termination'.
  4) With regard to the signed agreement, we can change any of the terms
or cancel it at any time for any reason.
  5) Voluntary termination means we keep all prepayments.
  6) Any communication on these or other matters that we send you is
deemed received 3 days after being sent.  If you send it to us,
however, it's only received if we send you a confirmation.

I don't think these weasels are going to be my new provider.  :-)
(Does anyone EXCEPT an eff'ing weasel ever use the word 'deemed'?)

Phillip Mills
Multi-platform software development
(416) 224-0714