S.M.A.R.T. ... is it?

Byron Sonne blsonne-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 4 23:22:48 UTC 2003

> Has anyone ever seen, or heard, of smart actually predicting a failure or is
> it just useless noise in my logfiles?

Bit of both I'd say; anything based on statistical analysis of some kind
is really just an educated maybe.

Case in point: I ran a box for 2 years with SMART indicators going off
and never had a problem or performance issue; I retired the box later
for unrelated reasons. Last job I had I ran my box with SMART indicators
for 3 months, then one day the drive choked and died. Not a failed
partition or anything that simple, the friggin' thing wouldn't even
autodetect.

On a side note, working with Compaq servers we'd sometimes get the
orange light going off indicating that the drive had performance issues,
was dying, or had error rates past thresholds. Disks were SCSI, so I
don't know if it was SMART or some equivalent. Replace the drive with a
new one, same thing. WTF we're thinking... upgrade the firmware on the
RAID controller and the new drive orange light goes off. Just for laughs
we stuff the old 'bad' drive back in. Wouldn't you know it, now its fine :)

I guess I'd look at it this way: if the SMART is going off, start doing
backups religiously but otherwise don't panic. If it's a business
production box or you got people with lawyers watching the box, then
book your downtime and get it replaced ASAP.

All in all, it's more useful at helping you than the Canadian government
is at protecting you from torture at the hands of corrupt governments
like Saudi Arabia, but then again, what isn't?

--

	For good, return good. For evil, return justice.