S.M.A.R.T. ... is it?

Fraser Campbell fraser-Txk5XLRqZ6CsTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 4 22:18:46 UTC 2003

Hi,

I've been playing with smart monitoring of my disks for about a year and I'm
not sure yet if it's at all useful.  For those that don't know smart is a
technology for querying disks as to their overall health.  It can
(supposedly) predict failures before they happen.

I recently had a drive in my server fail (fortunately raided).  The first sign
of failure was that one of the partitions in the raid array failed on me.
Almost every time I rebooted another partition would drop out of the raid
(software raid, probably 6 total partitions).

I took my time replacing the failing disk (perhaps 2 months) but as my disk
slowly but surely was dying the smart utilities never reported a failure or
impending failure.  What I did notice was frequent log messages like those
below:

    smartd: Device: /dev/hdc, S.M.A.R.T. Attribute: 1 Changed 1
    smartd: Device: /dev/hdc, S.M.A.R.T. Attribute: 195 Changed

Sometimes attributes change +1 (good I think), sometimes they change -1 ...
occassionally the increments would be larger than 1.

I replaced the disk about a little over week ago and tried to do a fresh
install on it, I/O errors ... S.M.A.R.T.  still reports that the disk is
A-OK.

Has anyone ever seen, or heard, of smart actually predicting a failure or is
it just useless noise in my logfiles?