OpenOffice.org Performance

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 4 22:40:51 UTC 2003

On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 11:15:46PM -0500, cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org wrote

> >   I deliberately used the word "desktop", not "window manager".  The
> > usual situation is...
> >   - X at lowest level
> >   - window manager on top of X
> >   - optional "desktop" on top of the window manager; cutsie icons strewn
> >     all over, and ooey-gui, touchy-feely interaction.
> >   - actual applications that do the work that you bought your computer
> >     to do
>
> But that's not how the desktop environments function.
>
> The "desktop" does NOT run 'on top of the window manager.'  Applications
> do NOT run "on top of" the desktop.
>
> - The window manager...  is an X application that runs atop X.  That is
> the ONLY necessarily special part; window managers are special in that
> they are exclusive.  You cannot run two window managers concurrently.
>
> - The "desktop" is a set of X applications that run atop X.

s/applications/unnecessary eye-candy/

  It has been my experience that my 433 mhz 128 megs RAM machine
runs^H^H^H^H crawls painfully slowly with the KDE graphical desktop
environment (and ditto GNOME), but is perfectly usable without the
desktop.  As I mentioned previously, I can run KDE/GNOME apps, just as
long as I have KDE/GNOME installed.  The eye-candy "desktop" is not
required.

>   - If you're running a "Panel", that is very much equivalent running a
>   program launcher like TkDesk or the "dock" modules in AfterStep and
>   WMaker.

  Matter of fact, I *DO* run GNOME's panel, under FVWM.

> The emperor has no clothing; they are nothing more or less than a set of
> X applications.  If you call it more, then you are fooling yourself into
> thinking there's something truly special there.

  It wasn't me.  Almost at the top of the intro page at
http://www.kde.org is the proclamation that...

"KDE is a powerful Open Source graphical desktop environment for Unix
workstations."

  And at http://www.gnome.org/about/

What is GNOME?

The GNOME Project is an effort to create a complete, free and
easy-to-use desktop environment for users, as well as a powerful
application development framework for software developers.

Email users are divided into two classes;
1) Those who have effective spam-blocking
2) Those who wish they did