Red Hat to Debian

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 4 01:03:05 UTC 2003

On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 12:07:31AM -0500, Peter Hiscocks wrote

> I'm currently running Redhad 7.3 on a couple of machines, but I
> have used and liked Slackware (first in the days when it came on a
> zillion floppy disks.) Can someone be specific about the problems
> in the latest Redhats?
>
> I do know that our system maintainers at Ryerson are leery of RH
> because they seem to be diverging from the standard way of doing
> things that all the other distros use. Is that the problem?

  7.3 is what's referred to when people say... "They don't make them
like that any more".  It packed a lot of functionality into a reasonable
sized package.  8 and 9 are bigger and more bloated.  Libraries are in
places, or have weird names, such that when I build the latest slrn or
mutt or fvwm, the build process can't find the libraries.  I got tired
of symlinking libraries all over.  fvwm isn't even included in the
latest Redhat distro, which is why I had to build manually.

  I fiddled with CRUX for a while.  If I could've built GNOME on CRUX
from square 1, I'd still be on CRUX.  I don't need the cutsie-wootsie
GNOME desktop, because I'll run fvwm instead.  I do, however, need apps
like Gnumeric, AbiWord, and Gimp.

  CRUX is what I'd use if I needed a server-only box.  It's small,
compiled for i686, and comes on 1 (yes, *ONE*) CD.  Actually, approx 200
megs at that.  It strips out documentation outside of man pages, and
doesn't bother with multi-language support in base form.  Their "ports"
system actually consists of scripts.  The script downloads tarballs and
builds them from scratch.

Email users are divided into two classes;
1) Those who have effective spam-blocking
2) Those who wish they did