OpenOffice.org Performance + rant

Byron Sonne blsonne-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 3 23:09:05 UTC 2003

> I'll take Emacs or vi and LaTeX or troff any day.

Sure, while we're at it why don't we cut power to our houses, dig wells
for water, grow our own food, and knit our own clothes? ;)

Like it or not, all of the above mentioned programs pretty much suck for
creating nicely formatted documents quickly and without (to the average
joe) alot of training. My brother needs to bang out a resume this
week... I'm supposed to teach him vi in an evening, or even worse,
emacs? We have a positive relationship and I'd like to keep it that way :)

I use OO.o 1.1 at home (and used to at work 'fore I got layed off) and I
don't have any speed issues (1.7GHz/256MB at home, 500Mhz/~512MB at
work... Just installed it on a SuSE 8.2 box for my bro' that was a
233MHz *original* Pentium with 192MB and it ran surprisingly well).

Maybe my jre is better performing than yours, or the system config has
something to do with it. But what you do have to understand is that OO.o
serves a *very* important purpose as it is easy to use, has a great deal
of nice functionality, and works pretty darn well. Apps are what drive
the adoption of an OS, and I think we should be supporting OO.o as,
other than the tainting by Sun, methinks it's in our best collective
interests. Crap, I hope Sun doesn't read that and yank my cert :(

Now if only the formatting and macro imports from MS Office were 100%
exact, I'd totally be shitting my pants.

--

	For good, return good. For evil, return justice.