OpenOffice.org Performance

cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 3 21:45:32 UTC 2003

> There's something wrong
> here.
>
> I'll take Emacs or vi and LaTeX or troff any day.

I have to vote with you on this...

On my 2.4GHz PIV, there are significant pauses when I open new windows,
or if I pull up the file dialog.  OO is _usable_, but it is by no means
quick.

And I recall the "bad old days" when I had NO TROUBLE processing a 150
page master's thesis, replete with lots of gory mathematical formulae,
on an old Atari ST with 2MB of memory.

I did some benchmarking back then to see how TeX would scale, and found
that it had NO difficulties coping with documents many megabytes in size
on that system with only 2MB of RAM.

The sample "large document" that I processed was the King James Bible.
It's roughly 5MB in size.  TeX ran through it in a few minutes, and had
NO difficulties, even though I had ZERO virtual memory and had only a
fraction of the memory required to store the whole document in memory.
No troubles processing it to .dvi.  No problems displaying it, after
that, either.

The inefficiency of OpenOffice.org is pretty stunning.  Almost enough to
turn you off of C++ :-).
--
(format nil "~S@~S" "cbbrowne" "acm.org")
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/nonrdbms.html