OpenOffice.org Performance

Jing Su jingsu-26n5VD7DAF2Tm46uYYfjYg at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 3 15:58:23 UTC 2003

> That has not been my experience. I timed how long it took for the
> application to be ready to use with my watch with a second hand on the same
> computer:
>
> MS Word: 3 seconds
>
> OpenOffice Write: 16 seconds
>
> OO is so slow to even load a splash screen that the only way that I can
> tell that something is happening is with all the disk activity.

Do you use MSOffice fast-start?

To be honest, I think MSOffice's fast start option is great.  Load the
needed office libraries and data structures into memory and keep it there.
I wish OpoenOffice had the same feature.  After all, why are people
worried about memory consumption in this day and age of gigabyte memory
machines and gigahertz processors?

I personally keep my linux box on 24/7, so I just run one instance of
OpenOffice on a virtual desktop and leave it.  Switching to it is really
fast.  Plus, it's faster to page to and from disk than to ask OO to
re-initialize and re-build all of its data structures and libraries.

I'm on a 256MB 400Mhz PentiumII, and task switching to OO after a few
hours of NWN only takes about 2 seconds of paging.

Well just my little 2 cents.
-Jing