SOS; apt-get dist-updrade mashes modules

david J Patrick davidjpatrick-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 3 09:53:58 UTC 2003

JoeHill wrote:

>On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 10:22:51 +0100
>david J Patrick <davidjpatrick-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org> uttered:
>

>>	how much for a clue ?
>>

>Have you considered, just as an outside possibility, maybe just doing a
>straight Debian install? I've gone through a Debian install myself and
>been successful in building a seemingly stable and useable system. I say
>this only because, if *I* can do it, anyone can... ;-)
>
>AFAIK, all you would need to do is make a boot floppy from the Debian
>site and install over the network, it takes awhile, but it would be
>free of the Knoppix peculiarities that seem to be plaguing you, and if
>you go for Debian Testing, the kernel should be up to date enough to
>recognize all your hardware.
>
>Anyway, just a suggestion, this Knoppix thing seems to be on the verge
>of driving you 'round  the bend!

Yes Joe, I am reluctantly considering that.
    Knoppix is an uber brilliant boot linux,
but using it as a debian base has been uber painfull.
All that cleverness comes with _traps_ !
    If I can't exorsize these modprobe deamons _soon_ I'll d/l bonzai as
a debian starter and /start_again/,
    Sometimes I miss the RadioShak TRS-80 model102 now /there/ was a
computer !
djp