Red Hat to Debian

Peter Hiscocks phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 3 05:07:31 UTC 2003

I'm currently running Redhad 7.3 on a couple of machines, but I have used
and liked Slackware (first in the days when it came on a zillion floppy
disks.) Can someone be specific about the problems in the latest Redhats?

I do know that our system maintainers at Ryerson are leery of RH because
they seem to be diverging from the standard way of doing things that all the
other distros use. Is that the problem?

Peter

On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 12:02:31AM -0500, Tim Writer wrote:
> Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org> writes:
>
> > <RANT Speaking of upgrades>
> >
> >   Redhat's 7.3 was probably the best release they ever had.
>
> Agreed.
>
> > Unfortunately, the Microsoft Marketing Mentality is taking hold in
> > Redhat.  The webpage http://www.redhat.com/apps/support/errata/
> > indicates that support is being dropped for the following products...
> >
> > Red Hat Linux 9 (Shrike)  	   	April 30, 2004
> > Red Hat Linux 8.0 (Psyche) 	  	December 31, 2003
> > Red Hat Linux 7.3 (Valhalla) 	  	December 31, 2003
> > Red Hat Linux 7.2 (Enigma) 	  	December 31, 2003
> > Red Hat Linux 7.1 (Seawolf) 	  	December 31, 2003
> >
> >   Yes, I'm a computer hobbyist, but I also want to *USE* my computer,
> > rather than spend my time upgrading, upgrading, upgrading to
> > version-du-jour.  I wouldn't mind paying $5/month if it could keep my
> > RH7.3 with upgraded apps and security patches.  The standing joke that
> > "Debian gibt es in drei Flavours: Stale, Rusting und Broken" is music to
> > my ears.  It was an incentive to convert to Debian.  With RH7.3 expiring
> > in under 2 months, I'm now comfortable in Debian 3.01r, while Redhat's
> > major version number is about to break into 2 digits.
>
> I couldn't agree more.  I've been a Red Hat user since I first encountered it
> in 1996 as part of the Caldera Network Desktop.  IIRC, that was Red Hat 2.0.
> I migrated to Debian (stable plus selected components of testing and
> unstable) a couple of months ago, around the release of Red Hat 9, and I
> couldn't be happier.  I can't help wondering how long it will take Red Hat to
> lose that hard earned mindshare.
>
> --
> tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                                  starnix inc.
> 905.771.0017 ext. 225                           thornhill, ontario, canada
> http://www.starnix.com              professional linux services & products

Peter D. Hiscocks
Ryerson University,
350 Victoria Street,