Red Hat to Debian

Tim Writer tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 3 05:02:31 UTC 2003

Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org> writes:

> <RANT Speaking of upgrades>
>
>   Redhat's 7.3 was probably the best release they ever had.

Agreed.

> Unfortunately, the Microsoft Marketing Mentality is taking hold in
> Redhat.  The webpage http://www.redhat.com/apps/support/errata/
> indicates that support is being dropped for the following products...
>
> Red Hat Linux 9 (Shrike)  	   	April 30, 2004
> Red Hat Linux 8.0 (Psyche) 	  	December 31, 2003
> Red Hat Linux 7.3 (Valhalla) 	  	December 31, 2003
> Red Hat Linux 7.2 (Enigma) 	  	December 31, 2003
> Red Hat Linux 7.1 (Seawolf) 	  	December 31, 2003
>
>   Yes, I'm a computer hobbyist, but I also want to *USE* my computer,
> rather than spend my time upgrading, upgrading, upgrading to
> version-du-jour.  I wouldn't mind paying $5/month if it could keep my
> RH7.3 with upgraded apps and security patches.  The standing joke that
> "Debian gibt es in drei Flavours: Stale, Rusting und Broken" is music to
> my ears.  It was an incentive to convert to Debian.  With RH7.3 expiring
> in under 2 months, I'm now comfortable in Debian 3.01r, while Redhat's
> major version number is about to break into 2 digits.

I couldn't agree more.  I've been a Red Hat user since I first encountered it
in 1996 as part of the Caldera Network Desktop.  IIRC, that was Red Hat 2.0.
I migrated to Debian (stable plus selected components of testing and
unstable) a couple of months ago, around the release of Red Hat 9, and I
couldn't be happier.  I can't help wondering how long it will take Red Hat to
lose that hard earned mindshare.

--
tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                                  starnix inc.
905.771.0017 ext. 225                           thornhill, ontario, canada