OpenOffice.org Performance

cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 3 03:10:20 UTC 2003

Fraser Campbell wrote:
> On November 2, 2003 06:53 pm, cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org wrote:
>
> > When people talk about "running GNOME" or "running KDE," this simply
> > doesn't make sense.  You run specific GNOME apps or KDE apps.
>
> Since KDE supplies it's own window manager (kwm IIRC) and tightly integrated
> applications I don't see anything wrong with saying you're "running KDE".
>
> GNOME is less integrated and it's more common for people to run alternate
> window managers (sawfish/enlightenment/etc).  "Running GNOME" is rather
> ambiguous.

If you look at what is _actually happening_, there is nothing ambiguous
about it, except when you use ill-defined terms like "running GNOME" to
describe it.

What you are _truly_ doing is "running X," along with some set of
libraries and applications in addition to some window manager that may
or may not have any kind of association with any of these projects.

- KDE is not a window manager, as is quite well documented by that project.
- GNOME is not a window manager, as is rather less well documented.

Both are far and away best described as "application frameworks."
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="ntlug.org" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
http://cbbrowne.com/info/x.html