OpenOffice.org Performance

cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org
Sun Nov 2 23:53:21 UTC 2003

> On Sat, Nov 01, 2003 at 05:48:42PM -0500, cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org wrote
>
> > My installations of OpenOffice.org contain none of the Java
> > components, and are certainly not affected by inefficiencies of
> > that nature.
> >
> > OO _is_ quite slow, and the only language that can be pointed at
> > for blame for that is C++.
>
>   The all-in-one packages have been mediocre since the days of Framework
> and Symphony.  AbiWord and Gnumeric rock.

Symphony was OK _as a spreadsheet_; the other modules did suck, for the
not unremarkable reason that all (save for the terminal software, that
REALLY sucked) were mappings onto the spreadsheet application.  I'm not
sure the reasons of yesteryear are necessarily applicable now...

> BTW, I *INSTALL* GNOME and KDE but I *RUN* FVWM2.  The GNOME panel
> runs just fine under FVWM2.  To summarize... I don't run desktops, I
> run applications.

That is making the mistake of imagining GNOME and KDE to be "window
managers."  They aren't.  They are two things:
 1.  Sets of libraries to support an 'application framework', and
 2.  Sets of applications using those libraries.

When people talk about "running GNOME" or "running KDE," this simply
doesn't make sense.  You run specific GNOME apps or KDE apps.
--
If this was helpful, <http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=cbbrowne> rate me
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/spreadsheets.html