"As for the GPL, it's total war."

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Sun Nov 2 22:55:17 UTC 2003

On Sat, Nov 01, 2003 at 09:32:00PM +0200, Peter L. Peres wrote

> On Sat, 1 Nov 2003, Walter Dnes wrote:
>
> >   Yes, I realize that SCO's viral-licence claims are a gross parody
> > of GPL, but I think that's their game.
>
> Time to add a clause like that of the OSF/OG license's to the GPL, to
> explicitly prohibit the use of the source on non-open systems (and ask
> all Linux software publishers past and present to add this clause to
> their release clause) (I am aware that the GPL contains a similar line):

  Unfortunately, this would blow up Cygwin, which keeps me sane in an XP
environment at work.  It's federal government, scientific support type
work rather than the usual beauraucracy.  Since I crunch large text
files, I need posix utilities like grep, sed, etc.  I could either...
  - or log on with *nix client for Citrix to run the site-licenced MS
    Office apps (Outlook, Excel, etc)

  What's really weird is when I log in to work from home, I'm running...
  - native X Windowing on my linux machine at home
  - Citrix client which logs me in to an emulated NT desktop,
    on top of native X Windowing on my linux machine at home
  - Then I click on Exceed, which logs me in to emulated X Windowing,
    on top of an emulated NT desktop,
    on top of native X Windowing on my linux machine at home

  With ADSL, it actually works quite well.

Email users are divided into two classes;
1) Those who have effective spam-blocking
2) Those who wish they did