"As for the GPL, it's total war."

Peter L. Peres plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Sat Nov 1 19:32:00 UTC 2003

On Sat, 1 Nov 2003, Walter Dnes wrote:

>   Yes, I realize that SCO's viral-licence claims are a gross parody of
> GPL, but I think that's their game.

Time to add a clause like that of the OSF/OG license's to the GPL, to
explicitly prohibit the use of the source on non-open systems (and ask
all Linux software publishers past and present to add this clause to
their release clause) (I am aware that the GPL contains a similar line):

Quote from Openmotif sample program header:

/*
 * @OPENGROUP_COPYRIGHT@
 * COPYRIGHT NOTICE
 * Copyright (c) 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993 Open Software Foundation, Inc.
 * Copyright (c) 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000 The Open Group
 * ALL RIGHTS RESERVED (MOTIF).  See the file named COPYRIGHT.MOTIF for
 * the full copyright text.
 *
 * This software is subject to an open license. It may only be
 * used on, with or for operating systems which are themselves open
 * source systems. You must contact The Open Group for a license
 * allowing distribution and sublicensing of this software on, with,
 * or for operating systems which are not Open Source programs.
 *
 * See http://www.opengroup.org/openmotif/license for full
 * details of the license agreement. Any use, reproduction, or
 * distribution of the program constitutes recipient's acceptance of
 * this agreement.
 *

Peter

PS: It would be nice to glue a suitable clause from a SCO-written license
into the GPL. That would introduce them to the art of recursion.