IT Job creations... IT job losses?

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Sun Nov 2 21:48:12 UTC 2003

On Fri, Oct 31, 2003 at 01:20:31PM -0500, Keith Mastin wrote

> Like a certain smp kernel upgrade did earlier this year...

  [...deletia...]

> ssl upgrade a few months back...

  [...deletia...]

> You haven't been caught in upgrade hell?

  Upgrades can be put off, unless you want to run an app the *DEMANDS*
that other software be upgraded.  With Windows, it's a boatload of
*SECURITY FIXES* that *MUST* be applied *IMMEDIATELY* to protect your
system from being compromised.  You do not have the luxury of waiting
and watching mailing lists for reports from "pioneers" (i.e. the guys
with the arrows in their backs).

<RANT Speaking of upgrades>

  Redhat's 7.3 was probably the best release they ever had.
Unfortunately, the Microsoft Marketing Mentality is taking hold in
Redhat.  The webpage http://www.redhat.com/apps/support/errata/
indicates that support is being dropped for the following products...

Red Hat Linux 9 (Shrike)  	   	April 30, 2004
Red Hat Linux 8.0 (Psyche) 	  	December 31, 2003
Red Hat Linux 7.3 (Valhalla) 	  	December 31, 2003
Red Hat Linux 7.2 (Enigma) 	  	December 31, 2003
Red Hat Linux 7.1 (Seawolf) 	  	December 31, 2003

  Yes, I'm a computer hobbyist, but I also want to *USE* my computer,
rather than spend my time upgrading, upgrading, upgrading to
version-du-jour.  I wouldn't mind paying $5/month if it could keep my
RH7.3 with upgraded apps and security patches.  The standing joke that
"Debian gibt es in drei Flavours: Stale, Rusting und Broken" is music to
my ears.  It was an incentive to convert to Debian.  With RH7.3 expiring
in under 2 months, I'm now comfortable in Debian 3.01r, while Redhat's
major version number is about to break into 2 digits.

</RANT>

Email users are divided into two classes;
1) Those who have effective spam-blocking
2) Those who wish they did