apt-get problem - hero2zero, again !

Kareem Shehata kareem-d+8TeBu5bOew5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org
Sat Nov 1 14:29:39 UTC 2003

On Sat, 2003-11-01 at 05:51, david j patrick wrote:
> hero2zero

I'm not aware of that command, where can I find the .deb?

> When we last tuned in, our hero was banishing multiple conflicts with a single stroke!
> Conflicts resolved, he swore that his system would never again be fraught with unmet dependancies and apt-get dist-upgraded to a keen edge .. can you see this coming ?
>
> apt-get dist-upgrade went off smoothly, and the root prompt surfaced without an error as I flew out the door.
> On return I reboot and guess what ?
> no alsa
> no ethernet card found
> 	no ADSL, no net
> 		pppoeconf looks strangely less helpfull and basically the box is off line !

I haven't actually dont a dist-upgrade myself yet, but these things
should be there unless it installed a new kernel for you.  What kind of
network card do you have?  Have you tried modprobe on the NIC module and
alsa modules?  I have a feeling they may be there, just not being loaded
by the new startup scripts.

> I'm sending you this SOS after booting a damnsmalllinux4-4.10 iso, running PPPoEconf, installing firebird, firing up ,and configuring, sylpheed and NOW I gotta hit the sack, cause I'm working tomorrow !
>
> ya still got a brewskie comin your way..
> 	and I was _just_ lookin' at mondo..
> 		thank god (or Klaus Knopper) for bootable linux !

Always keep a bootable distro or three around just in case.

Kareem

--
      kareem-d+8TeBu5bOew5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org   -   Kareem Shehata   -   416-676-6611