Data recovery emergency on a downed server... Help please!!

Kevin Cozens kcozens-qazKcTl6WRFWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 31 21:36:08 UTC 2003

At 12:55 PM 12/31/2003 -0500, Wil McGilvery wrote:
>Backups in my opinion will never be a set it and forget it procedure.
>Periodic restores are necessary for peace of and the assurance that you
>can restore when necessary.

Tape and CD/DVD changers help but if the data is critical, someone still
has to physically move the backups off-site and put fresh tapes or CD/DVDs
in to the changer.

>I have not heard of anyone successfully using cd's for backup purposes,
>but I do know of people using removable hard drives as an alternate to
>tape backups.

No one has successfully used CD's or DVD's? What sort of stories have you
heard? Perhaps they were using el cheapo CD's? If one is serious about
having good backups, you don't go for the cheapest backup media you can get.

Cheers!

Packet:ve3syb-XXPEJ3/fxIc at public.gmane.org#con.on.ca.na|  Try to assimilate the world!"