Data recovery emergency on a downed server... Help please!!

Wil McGilvery wmcgilvery-6d3DWWOeJtE at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 31 21:59:16 UTC 2003

I do not like using CD's because the storage is too small. Even DVD's are not quite big enough to completely back up a system. They are also cheap and you can still experience unreliability. Even the "good" cd's are still too unreliable for me.

When I first got started I used dat tapes and sold some to customers. That was a big mistake. I was replacing the tape drive every year and once I had a new tape drive it was a crap shoot as to whether I could perform a restore or not from an old tape.

If you are backing up your own data on your own system at your house then do what ever works because obviously price is a consideration, but if you are responsible for mission critical data, don't go cheap. It is just not worth it. Spend the money and do it properly.

Like I said before, you get what you pay for.

Regards,

Wil McGilvery
Manager
Lynch Digital Media Inc