default browser

Emma Jane Hogbin emmajane-MHIYrZpDPrNWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 30 14:42:17 UTC 2003

On Tue, Dec 30, 2003 at 09:27:03AM -0500, Emir Alikadic wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Dec 2003, (EJH) Emma Jane Hogbin <emmajane-MHIYrZpDPrNWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> How do you launch those apps?  WindowMaker, for example, has its menus in a
> file under ~/GNUstep.  Find the equivalent for your wm and view it to see where
> the launcher is pointing to, then use "which" and "ls -l" to find what the
> launcher is linked to (they're usually just symbolic links).  You can then
> remove the link and create your own ("ln -s TARGET LINKNAME").

In the end everything was set in /etc/alternatives. I'm not even sure how
I figured this out, I was just suddenly in that directory poking around
while I was supposed to be doing other things. The x-www-browser was
pointing to konqueror. I had to set a new "alternative" with:

# update-alternatives --install /etc/alternatives/x-www-browser \
	x-www-browser /usr/bin/mozilla-firebird 1000

The syntax is as follows:
	--install (instead of --remove)
	/path/to/alternative
	name-of-alternative
	/path/to/application/to/use
	"importance" -- I started at 10, 100 and finally 1000 was the number I
		needed to use to override konqueror. Anything smaller than that and the
		konqueror link was added instead of a mozilla one.

emma

--
Emma Jane Hogbin
[[ 416 417 2868 ][ www.xtrinsic.com ]]