City Of Toronto

David J Patrick davidjpatrick-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Sat Dec 27 14:46:44 UTC 2003

Phillip Mills wrote:

> I haven't noticed any messages lately about efforts to get a Linux
> foothold at the City of Toronto.  Anyone interested should read an
> article on page A14 of this morning's Globe & Mail.
>
> Quote:
> "The city's problem is that 14,000 of its 17,500 computers are of 1999
> vintage or older, which means that the operating system they run on is
> Microsoft Windows NT, a program which the software company will no
> longer support after some time next year, and they do not have the
> capacity to run on the next generation of software, Windows XP, which
> the city plans to switch to."
>
> Tortured grammar aside, how many things "wrong" can *you* find in that
> sentence?  :-)

Yikes !
    It sounds like a golden opportunity is starting to rust !
The earlier thread "Toronto Municipal Open Source Revolution, anyone ?"
had a flash of enthusiasm and then very little follow through.
    Who else is going to champion this cause, if not us ?
    How can we keep the flame under this one ?
djp